We can't wait to meet you

Schedule a visit Apply to Lyon


Prospective students and their families often have the same questions about what it will be like for them or their child to come to Lyon and live in the residence halls. Please browse the most frequently asked questions below. 

If your question isn't answered, please feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life at 870.307.7375.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring?

When deciding on what to bring to college, it's always a good idea to contact your roommate and compare notes. For example, decide which one of you will bring a TV and which one will bring a refrigerator. This will help to avoid having two of everything when one is enough.

If the prospect of packing everything is daunting, always remember that there is a Walmart, Dollar General, and fred's Pharmacy here in Batesville. You can buy some of what you need when you get here, which will save space when packing.

If my personal property is damaged or stolen, does the College replace it?

Lyon College does not assume any legal obligation or responsibility for personal injury or loss of and/or damage to personal property. Students and their families are strongly encouraged to check with their home owner's insurance carrier.

Often, a home owner's policy covers loss of personal property while a student is away at college. If it doesn't, we suggest you talk with your insurance agent to add a policy rider to your existing home owner's policy. 

Students and their families may also look into securing renter's insurance to cover loss and/or damage to personal property. In either case, it is the student's responsibility to secure appropriate insurance to cover possible losses.

What kind of stuff is allowed/not allowed in my residence hall room?

While you are free to decorate your room in any way you please, we ask that you leave the following items at home.

Use of the following items is strictly prohibited in residence hall rooms

  • Halogen lamps
  • Extension cords and plug extenders
  • Hot Plates, electric skillets, toasters, toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, crock pots or slow cookers
  • Window air conditioners
  • Refrigerators larger than 5.0 cubic feet
  • Microwaves (except in the Barton/Brown & Sturbridge apartment areas)
  • Animals/pets are not allowed (with the exception of service animals, fish in well maintained aquariums of 10 gallons or fewer, and those with pre-approved pets in pet-friendly housing)
  • Candles or incense (candles may be used for decorative purposes only)
  • Weapons, including but not limited to guns, air rifles, ammunition, knives, sling shots, and water balloon launchers

Your compliance with these policies will result in a more comfortable, secure living experience in the Lyon community. If you have questions regarding whether an item is appropriate, feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life at 870.307.7375.

How can I decorate my residence hall room?

You may decorate your room in any way that does not permanently change the room's structure. For example, a number of students contact their roommate before arriving to decide on a color scheme for their room, oftentimes purchasing matching bed linens. Additionally, family photos, posters, and artwork are all great ways to personalize a space. You may hang items such as these on the wall using masking tape or some other low tack tape or putty that doesn't damage the wall surface. Nails, screws, hooks, etc. are prohibited in room walls, ceilings, and furniture.

Free-standing bookshelves, futons, easy chairs, etc., are other great ways to bring your own style into the room. Keep in mind that the rooms are limited in size, and although students creatively find ways to add furniture to the existing college furniture, space is at a premium.

Can I have college furniture removed from my room?

All residence hall rooms come furnished. Each room (except those designated as singles) contains two twin beds, two desks, two desk chairs, two closets, and two dressers. College furnishings must remain in the space to which they are allocated.

What size are the beds/mattresses?

The beds in Lyon's residence halls have twin size mattresses. Beds in Young House (Hoke/McCain, McRae, and Wilson & Rogers halls), Love Hall, Bryan Hall, Blandford Hall, and the Sturbridge apartments have extra-long twins. The beds in the Barton and Brown apartments, Spragins Hall, and college-owned houses have standard twins.

Students who believe they may need an extra-long mattress should contact the Office of Residence Life to make a request. Extra-long mattresses are subject to availability.

How big is my room?

All residence hall and apartment room dimensions are available in this downloadable PDF. All room measurements are approximate.