We can't wait to meet you

Schedule a visit Apply to Lyon

Pet Policy

Lyon College Pet-Friendly Residence Hall Policy

Lyon College allows residential students the privilege of having their family pets live with them on campus. The future of this pet privilege rests upon the successful administration of the policy and the willingness of students to abide by and enforce the policy.

This policy is separate from the Service Pet and Emotional Support Pet policies.  See the student handbook for these policies. 

Fish in a 10-gallon tank are still permitted in all residence halls.



Approved Pets

Only cats and dogs (under 50 pounds when fully grown) are approved to live with student owners on campus. Dogs must be at least one year old and have lived with the student or the student’s family for at least ten months prior to living on-campus. All dogs must be housebroken. Cats must be at least six months old and have lived with the student or the student’s family for at least three months prior to living on-campus.

All pets must be registered with the office of residence life. Pets are permitted only in official Pet-Friendly Housing and designated areas on campus. Pets must arrive on campus during the first two weeks of each semester; after the first two weeks, they will not be allowed to move onto campus. Only one pet is allowed per room. The acquisition of a dog or cat, whether purchased, fostered, adopted, or stray, by a residential student at Lyon is prohibited. 

The City of Batesville prohibits certain breeds: 

Batesville AR, SECTION 1. Section 6.04.12 
Banning of specific breeds. Banned breeds of dogs are banned entirely and may not be owned or kept within the City. Banned breeds of dogs are any of the following:

  1. American Pit Bull Terrier. 
  2. Staffordshire Bull Terriers 
  3. American Staffordshire Terrier. 
  4. Any dog whose sire or dam is a dog of a breed which is defined as a banned breed under this section. 
  5. Any dog whose owner registers, defines, admits or otherwise identifies the dog as being of a banned breed. 
  6. Any dog conforming or substantially conforming to the breed of American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier as defined by the United Kennel Club or American Kennel Club. 
  7. Any dog which is of the breed commonly referred to as "pit bull" and commonly recognizable and identifiable as such. 
  8. Any vicious dog which is found at large in violation of section 6.04.04 of The Code.



Additional Charges

Additional Charges Such as cleaning and housing fees are subject to change and can be found here.



Approval Process

All students must apply yearly in Residence Life to be considered for approval to bring a pet to campus. The application process does not guarantee approval for the pet to live on campus with the student. Students that do not have pets can sign up to live in the Pet-Friendly Housing. If additional rooms are needed to accommodate students bringing pets to campus, the RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE reserves the right to relocate a student living in Pet-Friendly Housing without a pet to another available space on campus.

Each Pet-Friendly Housing resident will need to complete all paperwork necessary with the RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE two weeks before the pet moves onto campus. Pet-Friendly Housing, like all requested assignments, is not guaranteed; limitations exist on campus even though we hope to be able to accommodate a growing desire for such housing.

Owners who fail to complete the application process for their pet but still bring it on campus will be subject to a $500 fine. If a deadline is missed, the owner must wait to apply until the next semester.

Students at Lyon College must have a completed Housing Application on file, designating that they desire to live in the Pet-Friendly Housing. Students will then complete the Pet Application available in Student Life or on the web page. 

This application will require the student to attach a photo, veterinary proof of 6-month ownership (cat) or 10-month ownership (dog), and answer several questions in relation to their ability to care for a pet while living on campus.

A complete Pet registration will include current copies of the following:

  • Clear photo of the pet (full body)
  • Altering (Spay or Neuter) Certificate (canine and feline only)
  • Record of Pet Core Vaccinations: Rabies & DAPP. If you have a canine, you will also need to provide records of Bordatella and Heartworm Prevention. If you have a feline, we suggest that you provide a record of Feline Leukemia Prevention.
  • Proof of flea prevention/maintenance
  • Record of canine obedience training (those who do not possess this will have to accept the waiver in the registration form and take on-campus obedience training)
  • Copy of pet insurance policy (strongly encouraged)
  • Copy of yearly pet licensing information with the City of Batesville, AR, or the student’s hometown
  • Proof of payment of the $50 per semester fee (charged to student account, non-refundable cleaning fee)

All current students wishing to bring a pet to campus must go through the standard housing room selection procedure during “Room Selection.” Room selection information will be communicated by the department via email and the housing website. Students wishing to apply must select residence in the pet-friendly housing option. Students will also be required to agree to the Agreement, Risk Acknowledgement, and Liability Waiver found on the registration form.



Registration Approval

Upon completion and submission of the requested documents, students will receive an approval/denial email from the RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE. No pet should be brought to campus without receiving approval via email. Please note that pet approvals are for one academic year only.



Room Change

Should a resident wish to relocate outside of a pet-friendly designated facility, his or her application to have a pet in housing will be voided, and the pet will be required to leave campus. Residents wishing to keep their pet on campus will be able to reside only within one of the pet-friendly designated residential facilities.



Early Move Out/Breaking the Housing Living Agreement

Any student that wishes to or is asked to leave a pet-friendly designated facility will not be reimbursed for any pet registration fees assessed. Students who are relocated to a non-pet approved residential facility will be required to take their pet home. Students are responsible for any damage or cleaning related to their pets. All fees for damages and cleaning will appear on the student account and will be billed according to the damage and cleaning needed.



Owner Expectations

Before Arrival to Campus

  • All dogs and cats must be housebroken before arriving on campus.
  • By residing in the pet-friendly residence, an owner agrees to review and abide by all policies and procedures outlined in this Pet Policy and the Student Handbook, as well as those terms noted in the Pet-Friendly Housing Agreement and Liability Waiver.
  • All owners must have all required registration paperwork on file and have approval prior to bringing the pet to campus.

While on Campus

  • Regardless of the circumstances, the pet owner is ultimately responsible for the actions of the pet.
  • All owners must display their approved pet placard in a visible location on the exterior entrance to their living space.
  • All pets must live with their owner.
  • All owners are responsible for keeping up to date registration records on file with the RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE.
  • All pet owners and their roommates must complete a Pet-Friendly Roommate Agreement.
  • Owners must keep their dogs properly crated while they are away from the room. Pets not properly crated will delay Facilities staff from responding to requested and scheduled maintenance in a timely manner and provide unnecessary issues for emergency personnel.
  • Owners must clean up after their pets.
  • Abandonment, neglect, or mistreatment of any pet by any member of Lyon College will not be tolerated. No warnings will be issued. If abuse occurs, either the pet will be taken away from the owner, or measures will be taken to prevent contact with the person responsible for the abuse. These actions will be subject to the discretion of the Residence Life Office. Owner negligence or mistreatment of a pet will not be tolerated.
  • No pet is allowed to become a disruption to the members of the Lyon College community. A disruption is defined as, but not limited to, excessive noise, physical harm to humans or other pets, destruction of property, and acts otherwise deemed disruptive by the Residence Life Office. Pets attacking other pets or humans will not be tolerated. The matter will be referred to Residence Life Office.
  • Should a student be unavailable to care for his or her pet, the College will contact the listed emergency contact to provide care. Should this person be uninterested or unreachable, RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE may need to release the pet to a shelter.
  • All pets are allowed only inside Pet Housing facilities. Approved pets are prohibited to be in or visit other buildings on campus unless otherwise authorized.
  • RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE Staff will conduct periodic inspections of residential rooms to ensure that the pet owner is providing healthy and appropriate pet care. Failure to maintain upkeep of a pet or living space may result in removal of the pet from campus and/or the assessment of room cleaning charges.
  • It is the sole responsibility of owners to take care of their pets. If any issues arise, the owner may be asked to leave the Pet-Friendly Housing.

It is the owner’s sole responsibility to take care of their Pets. If there are any issues, you may be asked to leave the Pet-Friendly Housing.



Pet Waste

It is the owners’ responsibility to clean up after their pets. Owners must exercise proper care and control of their pet, which includes cleaning up their pet’s waste material and disposing of it properly. Pet waste bag stations are located in and around all pet-friendly housing facilities. Students are required to have pet waste or plastic bags with them at all times and dispose of them in any exterior trash can. It is expected that pets that go outdoors for the bathroom will not be permitted to urinate on any electrical boxes or HVAC equipment.

Litterboxes must be cleaned regularly and maintained to ensure reduced odors. Owners are required to dispose of old litter in a sealed bag or container in the exterior trash cans immediately. Litter boxes should be placed on mats so that feces and urine are not tracked onto carpeted surfaces. The occupant of any room with pet-related odors will be asked by Lyon College officials to clean the room. Students should expect to clean their room more often than in other residential spaces. Students should acknowledge that a pet in a residential space will create more of a mess/scent than it would within a house. We recommend using pet cleaners which may be purchased from local pet stores. Pet checks will be conducted throughout the academic year in order to ensure proper care of pets.



Pet Roommate Agreements

While many roommates live successfully in their assigned spaces with no major conflicts, adding a pet can at times introduce unanticipated challenges or disagreements. It is important for students to openly communicate their expectations regarding ownership and care of the pet. To ensure that this conversation happens, each resident will have the opportunity, within the first two weeks of moving in, to create a Pet Roommate Agreement with the other resident(s) with whom they will be living. The Pet Roommate Agreement form allows all residents to share their thoughts and develop individual/mutual expectations about acceptable and unacceptable issues associated with living with a pet. Residents should request a meeting with their RA and revise their original agreement if changes are needed during the year. The college expects that the approved pet owner will be fully responsible for the pet at all times on campus and in the residence hall.



Pet Inspections

Each semester RESIDENCE LIFE Staff will perform pet inspections of residential rooms to ensure that an owner is in compliance with Pet-Friendly Housing policies and guidelines. This inspection includes reviewing all corresponding documentation and determining that the pet residing in the assigned room is the approved pet, the owner is providing appropriate pet care, the room is free of damage, and the environment meets all health and safety conditions. Failure to maintain upkeep of a pet or living space may result in removal of the pet from campus and/or the assessment of room cleaning charges. Pet owners are responsible for pet-proofing their residential space, especially if young pets are present, to reduce college property damage (cover/protect all garbage cans, remove toxic items from pet’s reach, etc.)



Pet Care During College Holidays & Breaks Pet Care

During any College holiday or break when the pet owner will be away from campus (Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Spring Holiday, or Summer Break), it is expected that the pet owner will remove the pet from campus. There will be no exceptions to this rule, and pet owners found in non-compliance will be subject to disciplinary action and may be placed on pet probation.



Emergency Situations

Natural disasters can be diverse and devastating to everyone involved – including pets. Hurricanes, fires, floods, tornadoes, train derailments, and explosions can leave pets helpless and homeless. Planning can save the lives of beloved companion pets.

Tips for planning for an emergency campus evacuation:

  • Ask dependable friends or relatives who live away from an at-risk area if you and your Pet can stay with them during an emergency.
  • Stock a Pet emergency supply kit.
  • Mark all your Pet’s belongings with identification.
  • Keep all Pets’ paperwork in one central place including current vaccinations, identification, license and rabies tags.

Lyon College is not responsible for removing pets from the residence hall during a natural disaster or a fire. This is the owner’s responsibility. 



Student Personal Property and Insurance Information

The RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE recommends that students with pets have insurance covering any damages, incidents, or accidents that the pet may be involved in. While it is not required, it is strongly recommended. The College’s property insurance covers only property owned by the College. It is highly recommended that students insure their own personal property via their parents’ homeowner’s insurance or a renter’s/tenant’s insurance policy. If a student plans to insure under a parent’s homeowner’s policy, it is important to confirm with the homeowner’s insurance carrier that the student’s property (including computers and other electronics) will be fully covered for loss while housed outside the family dwelling. It is also important to determine the deductible and coverage limits. As stated in the housing agreement, the College assumes no legal obligation to pay for the loss of or damage to items of a student’s personal property occurring on campus or in its buildings or storage areas. The College has delivered the contracted premises in good condition. Residents accept them in such condition and agree to keep them in such condition during the term of this agreement at their expense and to return them to the College in the same condition at the termination of the agreement, normal decay or wear and tear excepted.



Reporting Concerns

Any bite or animal incident that involves physical harm must be immediately reported to Campus Safety. The Director of Campus Safety or designee has the authority to suspend the animal-on-campus privilege pending investigation of any such incident and will also notify the Student Life Office of any injury. When appropriate, Campus Safety may also contact City of Batesville Animal Control to assist in the handling of animal incidents.

It is the goal of the College to encourage any individual who is uncomfortable with a particular animal to be certain his or her needs or feelings are communicated appropriately. Whenever reasonable, these issues should be discussed with the animal owner or reported to Residence Life. If involving an employee, that concern should be communicated to the Office of Human Resources.


Policy updated: January 4, 2018


learn more about pet life