We can't wait to meet you

Schedule a visit Apply to Lyon

Pet Life FAQ

What is an animal?

While there are literally millions of types of animals—your Biology professors can tell you more about that—we are happy to welcome your dogs, cats, and small aquatic animals to the Lyon Community. Cats and dogs (under 50 pounds) must be properly registered with the Residence Life Office before residing on campus. The acquisition of a dog or cat, purchased, fostered, adopted, or stray, while a student at Lyon, is prohibited. Animals are only allowed in designated pet-friendly halls. Small aquatic animals, who can comfortably fit in a 10-gallon or less tank, are welcome in all residence halls. 

Can I bring my animal to campus before I register him or her for pet-friendly housing?

No. You must register your animal prior to your arrival to campus. After registering, the Residence Life Office will review your application and will inform you whether or not your registration was successful.

How old must my cat or dog be to live on campus?

Any dog living on campus must be at least one year old and have lived with the student or student’s family for ten months. Any cat living on must be at least six months old and have lived with the student or student’s family for three months.

What is the weight limit of my cat or dog living on campus?

Any animal living on campus must weigh less than fifty pounds when full-grown.

Does my cat or dog need to be on a leash?

When not in your room or in leash-free zones, all cats and dogs must be on a leash at all times.

Can I bring an animal as a freshman/transfer student to campus?

Freshman and transfer students may have a pet on campus so long as their pet meets the requirements. Like other students, freshman and transfer students who want a pet on campus must live in the pet-friendly residence hall and must properly register with the Residence Life Office.

Does my cat or dog have to be spayed or neutered?

Yes. Your cat or dog has to be spayed or neutered at the time of registration, and veterinarian certification is required.

Are there any dog breeds not allowed on campus?

Yes. According to Batesville Municipal Code § 6.04.12 (2010), there are specific breeds that may not be owned or kept within the city. These breeds include the American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or any dog who is the direct descendant or appears to be one of the preceding. If you have questions about your pet, it is best to contact the Batesville Office of Animal Control and Animal Services at (870) 698-2424. You can see other pet-related city ordinances on the City of Batesville site.

How much does it cost to register an animal on campus?

Review our Tution and Fees page for cost information.

Can a friend bring an animal to campus to visit?

Visiting pets are welcome on campus, but they are not allowed inside residence halls.

How many animals or small pets can I have on campus?

Lyon College allows one dog or cat per room in the pet-friendly residence hall.

Where can I review the complete Lyon College Pet Policy?

Check out the Pet Policy page.

Is there a College veterinarian that conducts health checks on the animals?

No. But there are a lot of great veterinarians in town who give discounts to Lyon students. And one of them is a Lyon alumnus.