Lyon College

We can't wait to meet you

Schedule a visit Apply to Lyon

Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective students and their families often have the same questions about what it will be like for their child to come to Lyon and live in the residence halls.  In an effort to answer some of the most common questions, we have compiled the most frequently asked questions below. 

If your question isn't answered, please feel free to contact Kim Hinds-Brush in the Office of Residence Life, at 870-307-7375.

What should I bring?

When deciding on what to bring with them to college, it is always a good idea for students to contact their roommate and compare notes. Decide who will bring the TV or refrigerator; that will help to avoid having two of everything when one is enough.

If the prospect of packing everything is daunting, always remember that there is a Wal-Mart, Dollar General and Fred's here in Batesville. You could always buy some of the things on your list when you get here, which will save space when packing.

Items you might not think to pack, but which you may find helpful include:

  • Shower shoes/shower caddy
  • Personal fan
  • Power strips with a surge protector
  • Laundry basket/bag
  • Aspirin, Band-Aids, Kleenex
  • Earplugs
  • Can opener
  • Air freshener
  • Cleaning supplies and laundry detergent
  • Frisbees, tennis rackets, board games, etc.

Upon consultation with current Lyon students, we've developed a packing checklist that we hope will help you in your preparations to come to Lyon. Happy packing!

If my personal property is damaged or stolen, does the College replace it?

Lyon College does not assume any legal obligation or responsibility for injury to person or loss of or damage to personal property.  Students and their families are strongly encouraged to check with their home owner's insurance carrier.

Often, a home owner's policy covers loss of personal property while a student is away at college. If it doesn't, we suggest you talk with your insurance agent to add a policy rider to your existing home owner's policy. 

Students and their families may also look into securing renter's insurance to cover loss and/or damage to personal property. In either case, it is the student's responsibility to secure appropriate insurance to cover possible losses.

What kind of stuff is allowed/not allowed in my residence hall room?

Please feel free to decorate your room and bring things that will make you feel right at home, however, we ask that you leave some items at home and keep a few others out of the residence halls. 

The use of items listed below is strictly prohibited in residence hall rooms:

  • Halogen lamps
  • Extension cords and plug extenders
  • Hot Plates, electric skillets, toasters, toaster ovens, George Foreman grills, crock pots or slow cookers
  • Window air conditioners
  • Refrigerators larger than 5.0 cubic feet
  • Microwaves (except in the Barton/Brown & Sturbridge apartment areas)
  • Animals/pets are not allowed, with the exception of service animals or fish in well maintained aquariums of 10 gallons or less.
  • Burning candles or incense, candles can be used for decorative purposes only
  • Weapons, including but not limited to guns, air rifles, ammunition, knives, sling shots, and water balloon launchers.

Your compliance with these policies will result in a more comfortable, secure living experience in the Lyon community. 

If you have questions regarding whether an item is appropriate, feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life at 870.307.7375.

How can I decorate my residence hall room?

Students may decorate their rooms in anyway that does not permanently change the room's structure.  For example, a number of students contact their roommate before arriving to decide on a color scheme for the room, often times purchasing matching bed linens.  Additionally, family photos, posters, and art work are all great ways to personalize a space.  Items such as these may be hung on the wall using masking tape or some other low tack tape or putty that doesn't damage the wall surface.  Nails, screws, hooks, etc. are prohibited in room walls, ceilings, and furniture.

Free standing bookshelves, futons, easy chairs, etc. are other great ways to bring your own style into the room.  Keep in mind that the rooms are limited in size, and although students creatively find ways to add furniture to the existing College furniture, space is at a premium.

Can I have College furniture removed from my room?

All residence hall rooms come furnished.  Each room (except those designated as singles) contains two twin beds, two desks, two desk chairs, two closets, and two dressers.  College furnishings must remain in the space to which they are allocated.

What size are the beds/mattresses?

The beds in our residence halls have twin size mattresses.  Beds in the Young House area (Hoke/McCain, McRae, and Wilson & Rogers Halls), Love Hall, Bryan Hall, Blandford Hall and the Sturbridge Apartments are extra-long twins. The beds in the Barton & Brown apartments, Spragins Hall and college owned houses are standard twins.

Students who believe they might need an extra-long mattress should contact the Office of Residence Life to make a request. Extra-long mattresses may be provided subject to availability.

How big is my room?

Students sometimes ask about room size so they can purchase area rugs, know if the room is big enough to hold extra furniture, etc.  All residence hall and apartment room dimensions are available in this downloadable PDF.  All room measurements are approximate.