You are hereHome ›
Lyon is more than just a college. It’s a community distinguished by its academic curriculum, unique Honor and Social Systems and award-winning professors.
As one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the South, Lyon strives to create a learning environment that is not only academically challenging, but one that is indicative of building character and integrity. Lyon believes the character built by our students is just as important, if not more important, throughout life than the degree that is earned.
Lyon's academic curriculum is designed to develop character as well as intellect; it's intended to prepare you for a lifetime of personal growth, professional fulfillment and service. Lyon graduates are sought by employers and welcomed by graduate and professional schools. For example, our medical and law school admission rates are more than 90 percent. Did we mention that almost all of our graduates complete their degrees in four years?
Finally, Lyon is located in a beautiful college town, Batesville, Ark., that provides a welcoming, safe and convenient environment in which to live and grow as well as abundant opportunities for outdoor activities.
A selective, independent, undergraduate, residential teaching and learning community affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Lyon College offers a challenging curriculum centered on the liberal arts, guided by an Honor System and coordinated with co-curricular programs, all fostering the critical, creative thought and ethical, spiritual growth that will prepare students for fulfilling personal and professional lives committed to lifelong learning and service.
What Our Students Say
Here are just a few of the comments made by Lyon College students this year:
- Lyon is challenging but is probably one of the best experiences in my life. I couldn't have asked for a better "home."
- They go above all of my expectations. I actually have fun here and I've made lots of friends.
- Instead of having teachers just expect you to know, they actually care and help when it's needed.
- Lyon exceeded my expectations! Everyone on campus is really friendly and the professors are wonderful.
- The people at Lyon are super friendly and if you have at least the courage to say "hi", suddenly you'll have friends. Don't worry about being formal -- this place is relaxed and almost everyone is a total sweetheart.
Since 2006, 65% of Lyon College graduates have already found a job or been accepted to graduate programs or professional schools by the time they graduate. And results from the 2014 National Survey of Student Engagement show the dramatic results of the high-quality liberal arts education offered by Lyon's outstanding faculty:
- 100% of seniors indicated critical-thinking and analytical skills improved “very much” or “quite a bit.”
- 93% of both Lyon first year students & seniors rate their entire educational experience as “good” or “excellent”.
- 75% or more of seniors perceived substantial gains in the following areas: clear and effective writing, clear and effective verbal communication, understanding people of other backgrounds (economic, racial/ethnic, political, religious, national, etc.), and developing or clarifying a personal code of values and ethics.
|Fall, '13-Fall, '14||73.7%||80.9%|
|Fall, '12-Fall, '13||65.7%||76.4%|
|Fall, '11-Fall, '12||70.1%||73.9%|
The most recent data shows that 38.5% of Lyon College students graduate within 4 years, which is about average for all 4-year institutions in the United States, but is almost double the rate of students who attend public colleges and universities in Arkansas.
For more details and statistics, see our listing at USN&WR.