Family support and involvement are critical factors for helping students achieve their academic and career goals. One important step you as a parent can take is to encourage your students to visit us at the Career Center where we can help them choose a major, plan for graduate school, prepare for job interviews, or find a job or internship.
Please feel free to contact us at the Career Center with any questions, comments or concerns. Below is some information that we hope you find helpful.
Links to Family Resources:
- A Career Planning Course for Parents - Suggestions for how parents can help students find their careers
- A Parent's Guide to Career Planning - More ideas for how parents can effectively support student's career search
- Federal Student Aid - Comprehensive site that provides information and resources concerning federal student aid
Class Level Suggestions
The following are suggestions for students at each class level to follow to help them determine their career interests and goals. Family members can help by encouraging students to follow through on these suggestions:
- Visit the Career Center
- Explore Career Interests
- Survey Different Majors
- Create Your Resume
- Volunteer Your Time
- Join Extra-Curricular Activities
- Explore Internships
- Obtain a Summer Job
- Explore career interests through courses.
- Join academic honor societies/other organizations relevant to your major.
- Declare a major.
- Choose an advisor.
- Do volunteer work or community service.
- Attend workshops about resume writing and interview skills.
- Complete a summer internship.
- Browse through Career Center library
- Begin to identify three grad schools and/or careers that fit your interests.
- Research grad schools via Internet, Career Center library, and faculty advisors.
- Register and prepare for grad school entry exams.
- Gain more work experience through summer internships, job shadowing, or volunteering.
- Build a network of professional contacts in your field of interest.
- Attend workshops about interviewing, resume writing, grad school planning, etc.
- Decide between grad school or career entry upon graduation.
- Attend Career Expo.
- Attend Grad School Expo.
- Polish interview skills.
- Take grad school entrance exams in fall.
- Gain more internship or work experience.
- Research future employers.
- Keep record of networking contacts.
- Attend Life After Lyon workshops.
- Stop by Career Center for help and advice.